Everyone’s Basic Clay Mask
Facial masks should be applied in a 1⁄16-inch layer; the thin layer allows clay to be gentler and less stimulating on the skin.
Photo by Getty Images/Voyagerix
All clay masks gently exfoliate as they tighten, stimulate circulation, re-mineralize, and soften skin. This mask can be customized according to skin type, making it gentle enough to be used by anyone. Mix as needed; do not store.
Yield: 1 treatment.
- 1 tablespoon powdered kaolin
- For dry skin: About 2 teaspoons heavy cream, half-and-half, or full-fat coconut milk
- For normal skin: About 2 teaspoons low-fat or whole dairy milk, almond milk, or coconut water
- For oily skin: About 2 teaspoons purified water or commercial aloe vera gel
- In a small bowl, use a spoon or small whisk to combine the clay with enough of the liquid of your choice to form a smooth, spreadable paste.
- Using your fingers, spread the paste onto your face and neck. Let dry completely, 20 to 30 minutes, preferably while you’re lying down. The mask will feel like it’s lifting and tightening your skin. When you’re ready, rinse off with warm water, and follow with moisturizer.
Stephanie Tourles has been practicing and teaching healthy living for over 25 years. She is a licensed skincare herbalist and certified aromatherapist. Stephanie is the best-selling author of 12 books. Visit her at Stephanie Tourles. Excerpted from Pure Skin Care © by Stephanie L. Tourles. Used with permission from Storey Publishing.
How to Boost your Skin’s Brightness with Vitamin C
Vitamin C can be highly effective for helping to even and tone the skin, diminish the look of age, sun and dark spots and help to give skin an overall healthy, youthful glow.
How to Treat and Prevent ‘Maskne’
The new normal of frequently wearing masks can unfortunately, come with acne. When skin is often covered, it can break out along the jawline, chin, cheeks, nose, and mouth, a pattern that many have been referring to as “maskne” or mask acne.
Naturally Healthy Teeth and Gums
Keep your smile bright by avoiding sugars, taking vitamins and brush using natural toothpaste containing baking soda and powdered myrrh.