Sautéed Wild Medicinal Mushrooms Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound each of maitake and shiitake mushrooms, well rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a sauté pan, warm olive oil. Add garlic and onion, stirring occasionally until onion is slightly translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until slightly tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in parsley and season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowl, garnish with remaining parsley and enjoy!
Find more recipes using immune-boosting foods in 14 Foods That Fight Illness.
Lawrence Rosen is the founder of The Whole Child Center, an integrative and ecologically sustainable pediatric practice in New Jersey, and co-author of Treatment Alternatives for Children. Learn more at his website.
Many wild mushrooms have healing properties to support healthy immune function. Maitake and shiitake are two of the most powerful and abundant, as well as flavorful. The parsley, garlic, onion and olive oil all add antioxidants to boost the power of this delicious side dish.