Daily Diet Tips
1. Start the day with a glass of water (many experts recommend warm or room-temperature water), with a squeeze of citrus or a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar. This is hydrating, offers some natural energy and encourages healthy bowel movements — a huge key to natural detoxification.
2. Eat a high-protein breakfast that includes healthy fat, a vegetable and whole grains if you tolerate them well. Avoid sugar in the morning. High-protein breakfasts energize us, steady blood sugar, and contribute to healthy weight maintenance. Try eggs scrambled in coconut oil with greens and herbs, or lentils cooked with tomatoes, spinach and ham, and topped with olive oil and chives. (For more breakfast ideas, see Quick and Delicious Morning Meals.)
3. Allow yourself to feel hungry before your next snack or meal, but not so hungry blood sugar plummets. You’ll know you’re too hungry if you get shaky, woozy, tired, irritable or nauseated. To test for true hunger, try this experiment from Michael Pollan: Ask yourself if you’re hungry enough to eat an apple. If not, there’s a good chance you’re thinking about eating for different reasons.
4. Good snacks between meals should include protein, healthy fat, an optional vegetable and maybe some natural sugar. Think apples with almond butter and cinnamon; carrots with hummus and cilantro; or a slice of turkey rolled up with goat cheese and sprouts.
5. For lunch and dinner, enjoy plenty of greens and vegetables, protein and healthy fats, and a starchy food or two, such as whole grains or potatoes, to increase melatonin production for a better night’s sleep. Try to finish dinner a few hours before you go to bed.
For more about balancing your diet, see: A 5-Step Plan to Eating Well for the Rest of Your Life and The Mother Earth Living Guide to Food Groups
Organic Gardening Basics: Organic Pest and Weed Control
Our gardening experts’ best tips will arm you with the knowledge you need to win the war on garden pests and weeds, no chemicals needed.
Natural Hair Care Tips for All Hair Types and Textures
There are many different hair types, textures and requirements, there are tips and tricks that all hair types and textures can benefit from. Here are a few tips and tricks that can work for all hair types.
Stay hydrated this season with refreshing summer drinks.