5-Ingredient Recipe: Zucchini Ribbon Salad
Zucchini Ribbon Salad
2 small zucchinis (about 1 pound), stemmed
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Zest of 1 lemon plus juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Using a mandoline, cut zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin ribbons and transfer to a strainer set over a bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and let stand until zucchini softens, about 10 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add breadcrumbs to the skillet and return to low heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and toast breadcrumbs, stirring frequently until light golden brown; transfer to a small bowl and toss with lemon zest and salt and pepper.
4. To finish dressing, add lemon juice to shallots and, while whisking, slowly drizzle in about 3 tablespoons olive oil until emulsified and thick; season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer drained zucchini to a serving platter, add 1/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs and gently toss to combine. Drizzle dressing evenly over zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle remaining breadcrumbs over the top. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Why this recipe sings: Cooking shallots until golden brown completely changes their flavor from onionlike to almost nutty.
If you have it: Stir some grated Parmesan into the cooled toasted breadcrumbs before sprinkling them over the zucchini for an Italian twist.
For more 5-ingredient recipes, see the original article, “5-Ingredient Recipes for Simple Cooking.”
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!