Horseradish Recipe: Shrimp Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing
This fresh, crisp salad recipe with horseradish dressing is from The Herb Companion’s food stylist, Judy Feagin. SERVES 4
• 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, large raw shrimp
• 8 cups mixed salad greens
• 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
• 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
• 1 small red onion, sliced
• Creamy Horseradish Dressing (recipe below)
1. Bring 6 cups salted water to a boil; add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp, leaving tails on. Devein, if desired.
2. Arrange shrimp, salad greens and next 4 ingredients on a salad plate; drizzle with Creamy Horseradish Dressing.
Creamy Horseradish Dressing
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 2 to 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Stir together all ingredients; cover and chill.
Susan Belsinger is a long-time herbal enthusiast who wrote Dill, Herb of the Year 2010 for the International Herb Association.
To read more, see the International Herb Association’s book, Horseradish, Herb of the Year 2011, edited by Susan Belsinger. To purchase, visit www.iherb.org or write to Marge Powell at the International Herb Association, P.O. Box 5667, Jacksonville, FL 32247-5667.
Click here the main article, 2011 Herb of the Year: Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana).
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!