Making Homemade Jams in a Jiffy: Lavender-Peach Jam with Vanilla
The loveliness of lavender gives a truly unique flavor to peach jam. Add lavender buds for extra bursts of flavor. MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
• 2 cups peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
• 2 tablespoons fresh or dried lavender buds
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, thawed
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1?2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Slice peeled peaches as thinly as possible.
2. Combine lavender and water in a small saucepan; bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover and steep 5 minutes. Pour liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup. Reserve liquid and lavender buds.
3. Combine peaches, apple juice concentrate, honey, lemon juice, vanilla extract and reserved lavender liquid in a nonstick skillet. Add 1 teaspoon steeped lavender buds, if desired.
4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and mashing peaches with the back of a spoon until mixture becomes the consistency of jam.
5. Refrigerate jam in a bowl for about 1 hour until chilled. Conduct taste test and make corrections, if needed.
TIP: To prepare fresh peaches, wash and score an x on blossom end of peach. Plunge into rapidly boiling water for about 1 minute. Quickly transfer to bowl of ice water. Peel and pit.
A healthy-living writer and photographer, Letitia L. Star has written more than 1,000 published articles, including many on herbs and gardening.
Click here for the main article, Making Homemade Jams in a Jiffy.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!