Making Homemade Jams in a Jiffy: Garlic Lovers’ Tomatillo Jam
Delectable garlic flavor complements the light, tangy brightness of tomatillos. Add fresh minced garlic to intensify the taste. Red pepper flakes will create a fiery sensation in your mouth. This jam is great on meats or tempeh. MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
• 1 3/4 pounds tomatillos
• 1 teaspoon garlic granules
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate, thawed
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 teaspoon fresh lime or key lime juice
• 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
• Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Remove husks from tomatillos. Wash and core.
2. Plunge tomatillos in rapidly boiling water for 3 minutes or until tomatillos are soft and color changes from bright green to light olive. Remove with a slotted spoon. Let cool. Slip off tomatillo skins and coarsely chop.
3. Combine tomatillos, garlic granules, bay leaf, apple juice concentrate, honey, lime juice, minced garlic and red pepper flakes in a large nonstick skillet.
4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly and mashing with the back of the spoon 5 to 15 minutes, or until mixture becomes the consistency of jam. Discard bay leaf.
5. Refrigerate jam in a bowl for about 1 hour until chilled. Conduct taste test and make corrections, if needed. Store in a clean glass jar with a lid.
TIP: Label these jams, and keep them in the fridge for up to two weeks.
A healthy-living writer and photographer, Letitia L. Star has written more than 1,000 published articles, including many on herbs and gardening.
Click here for the main article, Making Homemade Jams in a Jiffy.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!