Many Mints: Apple Walnut Salad
By Jim Long
Serves 6 to 8
Use a mint with a clean, fresh flavor for this. I like spearmint or lemon mint. Choose a mixture of apples–some tart, some sweet. I prefer Pink Lady, Jonathan, Granny Smith or Arkansas Black apples.
• 8 cups apples, coarsely diced
• 2 cups English walnut halves, toasted
• Juice of 2 lemons
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 1 cup mint leaves, loosely packed and torn
• 1 tablespoon honey
1. Mix together apples, lemon juice, mint leaves and walnuts.
2. In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise and honey, then pour over apple mixture and toss.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then remove. Serve at room temperature. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Contributing editor Jim Long lives and gardens in the Ozark Mountains.
Click here for the original article, Many Mints: Recipes and Growing Tips for Mint.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!