Love and Obsession: Lavender Shortbread Cookies with Lemon Buttercream Frosting Recipe
This recipe is a slight variation on an old favorite. The lemon buttercream frosting adds moisture to the cookie, and the lavender sprinkles make for a nice presentation. MAKES ABOUT 2 DOZEN LAVENDER SHORTBREAD COOKIES
• 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter (not margarine), room temperature
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender buds, chopped
• 2 1/3 cups flour
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
• 1/3 cup softened butter
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
• 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• Dried lavender buds, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment or brown paper.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and lavender until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flour, cornstarch and salt; beat until combined.
3. Divide the dough in half. Flatten it into squares and wrap it in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator until firm, approximately 1 hour.
4. On a floured board, roll or pat out each square to a thickness of 3/8 inch. Cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch rounds or into a shape of your choice with a cookie cutter.
5. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 1 inch apart. Prick each cookie several times with the tines of a fork. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until pale golden (do not brown). Cool slightly, then transfer to a rack. Allow shortbread cookies to cool.
6. To make the frosting, cream together softened butter and lemon zest. Begin adding small amounts of the sugar and the lemon juice, mixing well before adding more.
7. Spread the frosting on the cooled cookies. Before frosting hardens, sprinkle dried lavender buds on top of each cookie.
This article is excerpted from The Lavender Lover’s Handbook (Timber Press, 2012) by Sarah Berringer Bader. Sarah owns the Lavender At Stonegate Farm in West Linn, Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Lavender Plant Love & Obsession.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!