Herbal Soup Recipe: Chicken and Parsley Noodle Soup
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 carrots, cut into 1?2-inch-thick slices
• 3 celery stalks, sliced
• 5 1?2 cups chicken broth
• 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
• 1?2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1?2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1?2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
• Parsley Noodles (recipe below)
• 2 cups baby spinach
• Salt and freshly black ground pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add onions and sauté 5 to 8 minutes. Add carrots and celery and sauté 3 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, chicken, thyme, rosemary and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Add noodles to soup mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into individual soup bowls.
• 1 1?4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1?2 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or cold water
1. Combine flour, salt and parsley in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Add egg and milk; stir together until dough forms a ball. 2 Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a dozen times. Roll dough into a large rectangle, about 9 by 12 inches. Cut into 1?2-inch strips, then cut the strips into 2- to 3-inch pieces to form noodles.
Note: You could also use a pasta maker. Just follow the manufacturer’s directions.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor to The Herb Companion. She cooks and gardens in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Warm Up With Herbal Soups.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!