Harvest Garlic: Kale, Potato & White Bean Soup
Simple yet delicious, this soup is great served with a warm, toasty whole-grain bread or rolls and a hungry appetite. SERVES 4 to 6
• 1 pound turkey or chicken sausage, sliced
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 cups chicken stock or broth
• 3 cups chopped red potatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes)
• 1 cup chopped carrots
• 1 cup chopped celery stalk with leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 8 cups (packed) coarsely chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
• 1/2 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary
• 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
1. Brown sausage 3 to 5 minutes in large pot or Dutch oven. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, or until onions are limp. Drain any excess fat from pot.
2. Add chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, celery and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are near tender. Add kale, rosemary and white beans. Cook 5 minutes more, or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
3. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Contributing Editor Kris Wetherbee tends her herbs in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Harvest Garlic Like a Pro.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!