Everyday Immune Soup Recipe
This potent immune soup broth is a great way to support your immune system throughout the year. Be sure to use organic immune system herbs and mushrooms to avoid ingesting any harmful pesticides.
• 2 ounces astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceus)
• 2 ounces shiitake mushroom (Lentinula edodes)
• 2 ounces reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum)
• 1 ounce codonopsis (Codonopsis spp.)
• 2 ounces chaga root (Inonotus obliquus)
• 1 ounce ginger root (Zingiber officinale)
• Beef or chicken bones (optional)
• 3 gallons water, divided
1. Bring herbs, bones and 2 gallons of water to a boil in a large stockpot. When the mixture comes to a boil, turn it down to low and simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours covered until the volume decreases by half.
2. Add another gallon of water and simmer for 3 more hours. Allow the liquid to cool, strain and freeze into ice cube trays.
3. To use, thaw 1 to 2 cubes daily and drink plain–cold or warmed up–or add to a soup of your choice. (I like miso or bean soups with this delicious mushroom blend.)
Jaclyn Chasse, N.D., is a licensed naturopathic doctor who practices in New Hampshire.
Click here for the main article, Plants for a Strong Immune System.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!
Cooking With Wine
There are multiple uses for wine in the kitchen, some may surprise you!