Reduce Cholesterol: Cumin-Bay Black Beans with Pasilla Chile Pepper
This richly seasoned combination of cumin, bay and garlic is given spicy, earthy undertones by the dried pasilla chile pepper. For less fire, remove the pepper’s seeds, wearing gloves. Top this recipe with cubed or crumbled low-fat feta or blue cheese. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with Herbie Scrambled Eggs or Scrambled Tofu Recipe, in a tortilla wrap-up or over cooked rice. SERVES 2 TO 4
• 2 cups cooked beans (canned are fine, preferably low-salt)
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 to 2 bay leaves
• 1/2 to 1 large dried pasilla chile pepper
• 1 cup water (or low-sodium, low-fat vegetable or chicken broth)
• 1/4 cup low-fat feta crumbles or chunks
• Cilantro, for garnish
1. Rinse and drain beans. Set aside.
2. Sauté onion in hot oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender; add garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for cheese and cilantro. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Remove bay leaves and pasilla pepper before serving. Top with feta and cilantro.
Tip: Find dried pasilla chile peppers in Mexican markets or the Hispanic food section in grocery stores. If you can’t find pasilla peppers, substitute 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground chipotle or ground ancho peppers or fresh minced jalapeños peppers. For less fire, omit the seeds.
Letitia L. Star specializes in writing about healthy eating, gardening and green living topics. She is a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion.
Click here for the main article, The Best Foods to Reduce Cholesterol.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!